conect4children (c4c) is a collaborative European network that aims to facilitate the development and evaluation of new drugs and other therapies for the entire paediatric population. For this, c4c endeavours to provide a platform for the efficient and swift delivery of high quality clinical trials in children and young people across all conditions and phases of the drug development process.
For these trials
c4c will use a coordinated approach to deliver high quality “regulatory grade” clinical trials in
- Multiple countries
- Multiple sites
- All paediatric age groups
- Trial implementation using resources shared between studies
- Trial design through a combination of information about natural history, feasibility, appropriate innovation, and expert opinion
- Education and awareness within and beyond the network.
EFCNI is especially involved to
- Disseminate the aims, objectives and results of the project
- Provide input and guidance to ensure participation of parents/patients representatives
- Organise a face-to-face workshop with patients organisations to train them to set up a patient representation group
- Give input to the development of educational materials addressed to patients and parents to educate them about paediatric clinical research
In total 33 academic and 10 industry partners from 20 European countries, and more than 50 third parties and around 500 affiliated partners are involved in c4c. It is a pioneering opportunity to build capacity for the implementation of multinational paediatric clinical trials whilst ensuring the needs of babies, children, young people and their families are met.
This project has received funding from the Innovative Medicines Initiative 2 Joint Undertaking under grant agreement No 777389. The Joint Undertaking receives support from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme and EFPIA.
The communication reflects the author’s view and neither IMI nor the European Union, EFPIA, or any Associated Partners are responsible for any use that may be made of the information contained therein.